- 175g Self-raising flour
- 125g Softened butter (the recipe for regular cupcakes that I use says to use unsalted but it doesn't really matter)
- 175g Caster sugar
- 2 Medium eggs
- Up to 3 tablespoons of semi-skimmed milk (for the consistency)
- 6 Tablespoons of coco powder
- 4 Bashed up bourbon biscuits
Pre-heat the oven to 180c/350f/gas mark 4, and set aside a twelve hole muffin tray lined with cases.
Start by beating the butter until it is smooth then beat in the sugar. In a large mug whisk the eggs and then add VERY (to avoid curdling) gradually add to the butter and sugar. Next sieve in the flour and the coco powder, fold gently until fully combined, add the milk until the mixture is to a dropping consistency. Spoon into the cases and then push in the pieces of biscuit, about three each. Put them on the middle shelf of the oven for 18 minutes. Check them and test by inserting a skewer and seeing if it is clean when removed. leave to cool.
Now for the icing!
- 75g Softened butter
- 240g Icing sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of semi-skimmed milk
- 3 Tablespoons of coco powder
- 3 Bashed bourbon biscuits
Beat the butter, then put half the icing sugar and the coco powder in the sieve and add slowly to the butter, beat gently, add the other half of the icing sugar. If your kitchen is very warm, or if you intend to pipe it then you probably won't need the milk, but if not add the milk and beat again. Swirl onto your cooled cupcakes and decorate with bourbons.
Hope you enjoy these delicious little chocolate monsters! Much love Alex-Rose xxx